Skip to sidebar links
iPad and notebook on a desk


Copying for Offshore Students

The Educational Licensing Scheme provides a licence for University of South Australia staff to copy and communicate certain third party copyright materials for the educational purposes of the University without the need to obtain permission from the copyright owner.

For your course materials to comply with Australian copyright law, all copying and communication must be undertaken in Australia. If you wish to copy material in an offshore location you must abide by copyright laws and regulations of that country.

You can make course materials available to your students if:

You or the University of South Australia own the copyright in the work
The University has written permission to use the material
Your use is covered by one of the University's Statutory Licences

  • Copying must be for the non-commercial educational purposes of the University
  • Strict copying limits apply
  • Access must be restricted to University of South Australia staff and students
  • A Copyright Notice must be displayed for material made available online or in digital form (e.g. CD-ROM, PowerPoint)
  • Material intended for the online environment must be registered with the Digital Readings Service

Artistic works (images, diagrams, maps, cartoons, paintings, photographs, sculptures, etc.):

  • All or part of incidental artistic work (e.g. work which accompanies or illustrates a text).
  • All or part of an artistic work in electronic form that is not separately published, or that is separately published but is not available in a reasonable time at an ordinary commercial price.

Books, plays, transcripts (film, radio & TV), scripts (film, radio & TV) exceeding 10 pages:

  • One chapter or 10% of a published dramatic, literary or musical work.
  • For a work published in electronic form, 10% of the number of words.
  • For notated music, 10% of the number of bars or notes.

Periodical publications (articles in magazines, journals, newspapers):

  • One article from a periodical publication. More than one article from the same publication may be copied if the articles relate to the same subject matter

Anthologies (conference proceedings, collection of poetry, short stories, essays)

  • The whole of an individual work not exceeding 15 pages may be copied, provided it has not been published separately.
  • More than one whole work may be copied, provided the total number of pages copied does not exceed 10% of the total number of pages in the anthology.
  • No more than 10% of the number of pages of an individual work that has been published separately.

Television and radio broadcasts

  • You may use recordings of television and radio broadcasts in your offshore teaching materials, in reliance on the Educational Licence, as long as the broadcast is taped in Australia on behalf of the University of South Australia and access restricted to University of South Australia enrolled students. This includes podcasts and vodcasts originally aired as free-to-air broadcasts in Australia and which are available from a broadcaster's website. Please refer to TV and Radio Broadcasts for further conditions and marking requirements.
  • There is no limit on how much or what type of material can be copied. Broadcasts of commercials, documentaries, feature films and television shows can all be copied in reliance on the licence, regardless of their commercial availability.
  • There are no limits on the number of copies you can make. However, each copy must be clearly labelled and deposited in the Library before you can use it in reliance on the licence.
  • NOTE: Commercially purchased audio-visual materials are NOT covered by the Educational Licensing Scheme. If you intend to use commercially purchased or hired audio-visual materials offshore, please contact Ask The Library.

It is recommended that access to electronic versions of course readings should be organised through the University's Digital Readings Service. The Digital Readings Service supports staff by managing the copyright compliance requirements for readings it digitises and makes available through the Library Catalogue.

Opening Hours