Permissions and Forms


If you intend to use more of a copyright work than is permitted under the Copyright Act or to which the University does not have a licence or contractual agreement, you will need permission.

Written permission of the copyright owner is required:

  • if you wish to copy a substantial part of a work which has been separately published and is still available for purchase
  • if your intended use falls outside the provisions of a contractual agreement or licence
  • if you intend to use more than is permitted under the Australian Fair Dealing provisions
  • if you wish to re-use student work
  • if you wish to use photographs of people. This may infringe the University's privacy policy, particularly if the subject is clearly recognisable. Always obtain permission (Talent Release Form available via Contract Express) from the person photographed before re-using their image.
  • Permission must be received in writing (email okay).
  • Permission must be granted by someone who has the authority to grant permission.
  • A permission statement must be included with the work copied.
  • A copy of the permissions 'letter' must be lodged with the Copyright Officer.

If you need to verify the status of a permissions request or determine whether the University has obtained permission to use a particular work, contact Copyright Services.

If you need to seek permission yourself (i.e. for publication, commercial or personal use), you should ensure that any permission is obtained in writing in the event that you are challenged about it at a later date. The Thesis Toolkit [PDF] contains a sample permission letter [DOCx] and copyright material log [DOCx].

To assist staff and students of the University manage copyright issues associated with publishing or authorising re-use of their works, the University has made available a range of licences and agreements for staff and student use.

Please complete the takedown request form to request material be removed from the website.

Screening of films other than as part of a course of instruction is generally considered to be a 'public performance'.

Under the Copyright Act, UniSA is only permitted to show films on its campuses if all the following criteria are met:

  • the students are currently enrolled students at UniSA and enrolled in a course currently offered by UniSA; and
  • the film is shown in class for educational purposes; and
  • the film is not screened for profit.

To screen a film for any other purpose (for example, at a UniSA Open Day or if you are providing instruction 'for profit'), you will need to do one of the following:

  • seek permission from the copyright owner for your intended use
  • purchase a copy licensed for non-theatrical use. This may involve a fee depending on how many people will view the film and how many times it will be played.

The following organisations license films and documentaries for non-theatrical use:

  • Amalgamated Movies rents films from Sony Pictures (including Columbia Pictures and TriStar Pictures) and Madman Entertainment.
  • The Ronin Films catalogue includes Australian documentaries, a selection of feature films of educational interest, as well as high quality documentaries from other countries, especially from independent filmmakers in the USA. Copies need to be purchased.
  • The National Film and Sound Archive has a catalogue of over 19,000 titles (mainly in 16mm, VHS & DVD format) which can be borrowed by educational, cultural, social and religious institutions, as well as community groups, churches, film societies, government bodies, hospitals, libraries, museums and galleries.
  • Roadshow Public Performance Licensing (PPL) is Australia's largest 'non-theatrical' distributor, representing many of the leading Hollywood studios as well as international and local independent studios and distributors of film for use outside the cinema and home.
  1. Does a Talent Release form need to be signed:
    1. If I take a photo of a child in a public space?
      Only if the child is the subject of the photograph.

    2. If students feature in UniSA lecture recordings which will be uploaded to LearnOnline?
      Yes, if the purpose of making the recordings is so that the University can use the recordings for future cohorts of students. Copies of the signed forms should be sent to Copyright Services.

      If, however, the students have been recording each other as part of their assessment and it is understood by the students that the recordings are to be uploaded to LearnOnline for assessment purposes only, then it is not necessary that Talent Release forms be signed.

    3. To use photographs of students on bus shelters and on billboards?
      Yes, and the purpose and duration for which the student's likeness is being used needs to be indicated clearly on the form which the student signs.

  2. If a student has signed a UniSA Talent Release form but the purpose for which it was signed is not indicated on the form, does that restrict how the University can use that student's photograph, voice or transcript of interview?
    Yes. Use should be restricted only to use on UniSA's servers and only for the purpose for which the student signed the form.

  3. Is it necessary to hand out Talent Release forms to people attending UniSA events on the off-chance that they might be photographed and their photograph uploaded to the public web?
    No. Although someone might object to having their photo taken, it is unlikely that they would have a legal basis for their objection given that they are in a public place.

  4. I have a box of signed talent release forms. What should I do with them?
    Please send the completed forms either electronically or in hard copy to Copyright Services so that they can be archived. Ensure that the forms are legible, signed and dated by the participant and include a brief description of the project and the Project Coordinator's details.

Ask the Library

Opening Hours



*UniSA ID access may be required

Book a Room

Study rooms can only be booked by currently enrolled students

Make a booking (opens in a new window)